Sunday, July 10, 2011

And I made it!

Hello from Uganda! Made it safe and sound. Boy oh boy has it been 2 longggg days. Had an overnight flight to London Friday, then had a 12 hour layover before my flight for Uganda. I forced myself to just keep walking all day to keep awake, although I did sneak in a cat nap in Hyde Park. London is so crazy!! So busy busy, I bought an all day tube ticket and got to explore lots of London and meet some interesting characters on the way. By the time I got back to Heathrow, I could barely keep my eyes open. I was able to catch up on some sleep on the overnight flight to Uganda.

Once we landed, a driver from the hospital was waiting to drive us to Mbale. A british medical student was on the same flight as me and will be staying at the hospital for the next month. It was over a 4 hour drive, but went by quite fast. Uganda is amazing. I've never seen anything like it in my life. There are people everywhere, the roads are filled with people walking alongside or riding their bikes. All the houses are right alongside the road, so you there was so much people watching to do! And everything is so green, it's absolutely beautiful.

The hospital is fabulous. I only got a quick tour, but saw the outsides of the OR, ICU, and general ward. There were some mothers out doing laundry, saw a few babies, but for the most part the hospital is pretty quiet on the weekends. I'm staying in the guesthouse which located just a few steps from the hospital. There are 3 other people staying in the house with me. Dr. Shabana, a neurosurgeon from Tanzania staying at the hospital for 2 months to learn from the neurosurgeon's here, then Sarah a medical student from the US, and a physical therapist from the UK who I haven't met yet because he's out travelling.  I'm sooo happy to have housemates. We did some exploring in the village this evening, bought some food from the market and then ate dinner back at the house. So far I'm loving everything. can't wait to see what tomorrow brings as it will be my first day really working with the children. K well time to go take a tylenol PM and sleep forever!!!

Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment